07 March 2009

Preventing .DS_Store

A helpful hint I found in the Apple Knowledge Base today.

Because I still have a Windows machine hanging around (in its death throes, I might add) and dislike lots of hidden files lying around (one of my little annoyances with Mac), I was excited to see there is an easy way to prevent the .DS_Store files from being created on your networked drives.

Open Terminal and type:
defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
and then hit enter.

After a reboot, this should disable any more of those from being created. Whether the old ones ever get deleted is up to you and your OCD.

There is a disclaimer that this "can cause unexpected Finder behaviour," but nothing too dire will occur.

Links:
Apple Knowledge Base Article

No comments: